Wednesday, July 17, 2013

So Many Kids, So Few Chores. . .

What do you do when you have so many kids and not enough chores to keep them all busy longer than 20 minutes? You make stuff up. My children are 5 (6 in 2 months), 4, and 2 1/2. We started chore charts this week, and my kids are so excited they keep asking me for MORE to do. I accept that challenge. I am sure I can think of something that needs to be done. At this moment, my 2 and 4 year olds are wiping down our walls with wet sponges. Are they actually accomplishing anything? Probably not. But they aren't breaking anything, aren't fighting, and aren't making bigger messes. That's a win in my book.

Each child does have "real" chores that need to be done daily. I found my inspiration for their lists from Pinterest.


H, my 5 year old, does the following: brush her teeth twice a day (yes, I included hygienic "chores" in their chart - more stars! Yay!), brush her hair, make her bed, put her toys away. Then she has the meatier stuff - wash the dishes before dinner, sweep the house, fold towels from the wash, wipe down the bathroom sinks, counters, and mirrors, scoop the cat box, and help mommy with meal preparation (hopefully not that in order without washing her hands first).

J, my 4 year old, does all the same hygienic chores and her meatier jobs are: feed the cats, wipe down the table after meals, help load/unload dishwasher, wipe down our leather couch, put folded clothing away, and wipe down all the door knobs.

F, my 2 year old, along with the basics helps clear the table after meals, helps unload the plastic/Tupperware from the dishwasher, wipes down walls and the fridge, and if she's bored I give her a cloth to "dust."

So far, my girls think it's a game (yay for games!). They also think their school work is a make-believe. I know someday in my future they will catch on, but I won't be the one to tell them. ;)

For today's recipe I'm going to share with you our FAVORITE go to Paleo breakfast muffins (they are so good, we've been known to eat them for dessert). I found the recipe on Fast Paleo but for the size of our family, it just wasn't enough. I had to tweak here and there and this is how I make them now:

Paleo Pumpkin Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (I know, right?)

Dry Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 C Coconut Flour
  • 1/2 C Potato Starch
  • 3 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 3 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg

Wet Ingredients

  • 15 oz. Canned Pumpkin
  • 6 Bananas
  • 6 Eggs
  • 8 oz. (1 C) Apple Sauce
  • 1/4 C Melted Coconut Oil
  • 16 Medjool Dates, pitted
  •  1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Add in - 1 pkg. Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips

Directions:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
  2. Pit dates and place in your handy dandy food processor then pulse until they are in teeny tiny pieces. 
  3. Add the bananas until smooth. 
  4. Add the rest of the wet ingredients to your food processor until mixed. 
  5. Mix together dry ingredients in a LARGE bowl with a fork. 
  6. Add wet ingredients from food processor to dry ingredients in a LARGE bowl.
  7. Whisk everything together until fully integrated (about 2 minutes). 
  8. Add package of chocolate and combine.
  9. I use 24 silicone muffin cups on a cookie sheet to cook the muffins all at once. OR you can grease a muffin pan with coconut oil and cook in 2 batches. 
  10. Cook for about 20-25 min. until a toothpick inserted in a center muffin comes out clean. 
  11. Cool and enjoy. OR put them in the fridge overnight. I prefer them cold. My hubby likes them however he can get them ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment